Monday, December 17, 2018

Week 4 and my Chemo plan...

Last Wednesday I met with the medical oncologist who reviewed my need for chemo and discussed why I need it and what the schedule will be. His name is Dr. Wittenkeller. He was very nice and told me that if I did nothing as far as treatment from here on out I would have about a 20 something percent chance of the cancer returning somewhere else in my body. If I chose to just do radiation it would lower it to around 15 percent. But if I did the chemo and radiation it would lower my recurrence rate to around 5%. They just can't be positive that all the cancer cells are completely gone because the cancer was so close to my skin. Thursday I met with Dr. Maestas, the radiology oncologist. She was very nice and talked to me about the radiation plan. She was one of the only dr's that talked about diet too. She recommended lots of vegetables, fruits and eating clean. Basically if it comes in a box, don't eat it. Making sure you know where all your food is coming from. So...My plan is....I start with Chemo and will do 8 infusions. 1 every other week. It comes out to a total of 16 weeks. then there is a couple week rest period and they do radiation. radiation is every day (except saturday and sunday) for 33 days. Then, I will go on a hormone blocking drug called tamoxifen for probably 5 years. My cancer is hormone fueled...so they don't want any hormones to be roaming around.
Wednesday Josie had her choir concert.
 I made sure I was front row so I could get a good view....but then her choir teacher stood right in front of her...so I couldn't see her:)

Landon and Roxy...Roxy gets to come in and snuggle when it's cold outside. 
 We were hoping for a white Christmas this year...but It's not looking like were going to have one.
 Friday we headed up to the mountain. They had more snow so Ski team officially started. The kids were excited to go in the hot tub at our condo. I prefer the sauna so we just let them enjoy the hot tub without us:)

 It was pretty hard to not be able to ski. I sat in the lodge while the kids went skiing with their teams and Luke went with some friends. The lodge is filled with a lot of our 'winter friends' so I ended up hanging out with some friends and it made it not too bad.  Landon, having his healthy lunch of french fries and hot chocolate!

Saturday night we came back to the condo and had dinner with some friends who live a few doors down.  They have 2 girls and randomly are related to Landon's teacher he had in 1st grade. The kids decorated cookies. I didn't have my phone so I stole the picture off of Instagram that Jen had taken.



 Sunday it snowed all day. Luke wasn't feeling great so he hung out with me in the lodge all day.
 Landon's group of U10 boys...He is the little one in the middle with the orange helmet:)

 Josie and her friend gracey.
For some reason the port a potty company never picked up this porta potty from our condo parking lot....We are taking bets on how much snow will accumulate on top of it before it caves in:)
It was nice to get away from the house for the weekend. I love being at the mountain, it's kind of a get away. This week is a busy one for us. Today I had a Physical therapy appt. She was very impressed with my range of motion and lack of pain. She gave me some exercises and sent me on my way. Then I met Luke and we went wig shopping....I tried on a few wigs. picked out a few styles I liked and colors. They are ordering in some different ones and then I will go back on Thursday to finalize my 2019 hairstyle. I am not going blonde..but we were having a little bit of fun in the store.

The lady that worked there was very nice and a breast cancer survivor. She even showed me a product that you put on your eyelashes and eyebrows and it prevents  your eyelashes and eyebrows from falling out. I felt a little bit better about going bald after leaving the store. Tomorrow I have to go to the hospital and have an echocardiogram to make sure my heart is in tip top shape for chemo. Then they will place a port for my chemo so they don't have to keep poking my veins every other week. My parents will fly in from Arizona tomorrow evening so we are excited to see them. Wednesday I have to have my IUD removed because it produces hormones, and I'm not allowed to have those in my system...Then, Wednesday
afternoon Luke and I meet with a dr. to go over Chemo. It is called 'chemo teach'. Thursday I get to go to the fun dr. My plastic surgeon to have another pump up of my boobs. Then I saved the best for last...Friday is my first chemo treatment. I am anxious and scared. I'm hoping it doesn't kick my ass too hard. I really want to be able to work and ski and have a normal life...but I know that might not be the case. Somewhere in the middle of all this we will take the kids to see Santa and Celebrate the holiday with my parents. They say it takes about 2 weeks after your first chemo treatment for your hair to start falling out. This is still very surreal. I have always struggled with anxiety, but this has put it through the roof. Hoping for the best with all of this...ready or not here I come chemo.
We came home to a big box of presents on the front porch so it looks a little bit more dressed up under the tree.



No comments: