Monday, January 22, 2018

Josie made the news....and the kids did some racing.

The weather lady from one of the local news stations in spokane came to Freeman and talked to the 5th graders about weather. Josie thought that was pretty cool, although she said she still wants to be a vet, not a weatherman.

 Last weekend the fog was in the valley but it was really pretty up on the mountain. This is one reason I love being up there in the winter. It's nice to be in the sunshine:)





 We took advantage of MLK day because the kids had it off, and the weather was beautiful. We skied all day with friends and had a great time.

 Our friend Dan took the kids to the Lightening tree. You can crawl inside of the tree.




 Every week in Landon's 1st grade class one kid gets to be superhero for the week. Landon's superhero week was last week. He made a poster with pictures and got to talk about himself. One of the questions on the poster was 'what would your super power be if you were a real superhero?' Landon said he would be invisible and wanted to put a picture of him being invisible:) So here is his picture of being invisible:)

He got to be line leader all week, bring a special show and tell, and invite someone special to lunch on friday. He had Luke bring walter for his show and tell and he chose his sister to be his special guest at lunch. Although he wanted me to bring him mcdonalds for lunch too.







He brought  home his new years resolutions, I had to laugh at his 'something I will do is'....He put, 'Use more throttle'...I'm assuming he is referring to dirt biking...which scares me!


 This weekend the kids had 2 races, one on Saturday and one on Sunday. It was the first in the EEYSL series. That means that all the mountains come together to compete against each other. As parents, we have to volunteer at so many races, otherwise you have to pay money. So I volunteered in the timing shack. It was warm and had a good view of the course. I will definitely volunteer for that position again!
 All the timing is done via computers and sensors...
 I'm glad I wasn't the only one in there, it was pretty confusing to figure out how it all worked and ran. It was cool to get a behind the scenes look at what goes on in the timing shack.
 Saturday was GS (Giant Slalom) and Sunday was Slalom. In GS the gates are further apart and in Slalom they are closer together. I didn't get many pictures because I was in the timing shack on saturday. Sunday I was at the top of the course and still didn't take may pics:) Josie is in a really tough group this year, there are a lot of super fast girls and she is also one of the youngest and smallest in her group. She tries her best, but just can't seem to make the top 10.
I got a short video of landon doing his slalom course. It was the only video I took all day.

Landon is the oldest in his group this year and is fearless, which helps. He skied super fast on saturday and was over 3 seconds faster than all the other kids! (in ski racing seconds are long, you can win or lose by a hundreth of a second) So a full second is a pretty big deal. He was so excited that he took 1st Place! Here he is waiting to get his award with mason and Lila.
 Top of the Podium!

 Josie has a hard time watching her brother do so well, she is gracious, but I know it bugs her. Josie is not a huge fan of competition...Just like me, But, She kept a smile on her face while she watched most of her friends and brother get awards.


 The photographer at the mountain took some photos, so I just screen shotted them:)






Sunday was Slalom. It was a really tough course. They put different poles in different places and as a racer you have to know which ones to go around and not go around. The coaches even said it was a pretty technical course. Landon missed one of the gates, so it automatically disqualified him. He was so bummed. But it turns out that only 4 kids in his age group made it, so he wasn't the only one:) He still skied really well and had a great time. Josie made all her gates, but still wasn't fast enough to make top 10....We were super proud of both of them, they impress me every time I see them ski.
 The kids don't have school this Friday so we will head up to the mountain Thursday night so we can ski with them on Friday.


No comments: