Thursday I had my pre chemo blood check. My friend Andrea flew in from Austin Texas to come spend the weekend with me. We have been friends since 7th grade. She was here the week after my mastectomy to help too. My White blood cells had rebounded nicely and my dr. was impressed with how I have been doing. I told her that I had been snowshoeing and exercising regularly and she told me that most of her patients have a hard time getting off the couch on a daily basis with this chemo regimen. She said I could be the poster child for chemo in her office. Not sure this is what I want to be on a poster for, but I'll take it. Friday was round 4 and the last of the red devil! The Dr's say that the last 4 rounds of this type of chemo are not as hard as the first 4. I'm really hoping that is true.
Luckily for me, Andrea has a job that lets her work from anywhere so she could support me and work at the same time:)
Friday Josie had Super G training up at Schweitzer. They only let the U12 kids (10 and 11 yr olds) do Super G because it is a faster race and the risk of getting hurt is a bit higher than the others. Landon loves to go fast and was up at the mountain anyway so the coaches let him train Super G with the U12 kids.
Friday afternoon Luke drove from Schweitzer to 49* north. 49 is another ski hill in our area and that is where the Super G race was on Saturday and a GS race on Sunday. Saturday they do 2 separate runs and have 2 separate awards. Unlike a GS or Slalom race where they race twice and combine the times. Josie ended up placing 8th in the second race. This was huge for her because she has never placed top 10 at a big race before. She was so excited. Luke sent me this picture and I started crying. I missed it...I couldn't be there to watch her or see her excitement of placing top 10. These are the hard parts of this whole journey.
Saturday night Luke and the kids stayed in Chewelah, a town close to the mountain where the race is. They went out to mexican food with some friends and had a good time.
Meanwhile, Andrea made sure I was well taken care of. We took frequent walks down the driveway and she cooked me healthy food. The last of the red devil took the last of my hair. I actually have been waiting for this to happen, it was getting pretty spotty. The dr. said sometimes your hair will start to grow back when the red devil is done....Fingers crossed!
We looked up some juicing recipes and found one that was really good.
Every time we walk down the driveway we take Walter our dog. Oliver, one of our outdoor cats always comes with us. It was a cold foggy, rain/snowy weekend but it felt good to go for little walks down the road.
At one point Walter and Oliver started arguing and Oliver climbed up a small tree. Andrea had to rescue him out of the tree.
I'm now officially bald.
Sunday was a GS race at 49* north so Landon got to race. Luke took a couple of video's so I could see. Here is Landon.
Josie's run
Josie receiving her 9th place award:)
Both kids with a top 10 finish! So Proud.
Andrea and I had our own superbowl party. We actually only watched some of the commercials and the halftime show. We were binge watching 'A million little things' on Hulu. Not the most uplifting of TV but none the less, really good.
Andrea left bright and early this morning. It's always hard to say goodbye, but we made sure that the next time we see each other, I won't be fresh out of surgery, or going through Chemo! This week is what I call my 'down' week. I'm hoping I feel good enough to keep up with my exercise. I have Physical therapy and another boob fill this week..Big plans!
No comments:
Post a Comment