Monday, September 22, 2014

Rockford Fair and my Half Marathon...

Now that Josie is in school I have every monday and friday to spend with Landon. Last monday we went to swimming lessons, Landon had his hair cut and we made a trip to the Library....He was very excited about his spiky hair:)
Saturday morning we went to the Rockford fair. Rockford is a really small town just south of where we live. It is where Josie's school is so we end up running into a lot of her school friends. They have a parade and the kids get a lot of candy....
Admission to the fair is free, but you still have to pay for the rides. Landon insisted that he go on a roller coaster again and loved it!
Josie always loves the big slide..


Saturday after the fair we headed up to Sandpoint for the half marathon. I checked in and got my number...I like how they print your name on the front...I was thinking that was so if you pass out along the course they would know what name to call to revive you!
I was real nervous and couldn't sleep the night before...we brought walter with us and this is how I found him and landon sleeping.
My stomach was pretty upset from being nervous and so I didn't eat as much as I probably should have. The weather was great and the course was really beautiful.
Here I am at the start. Josie made me a 'lucky necklace' the night before so I wore that.
Here are some snapshots along the way....


The course is a down and back, so you can see all the people who are ahead of you when you are still running 'out'....It was pretty encouraging to see all the people still running 'out' after I turned around at the halfway point.
Mile 8 I started to get pretty tired...my lack of food started to kick in and my stomach started cramping....
At mile 10 you can see the finish line and hear the announcer talking.....but the course takes you on a detour for 3 more miles!! I was pretty tired at this point.
The last 2 miles were more like a walk/run for me but I finished in 2 hours and 46 minutes...that included a port a potty stop along the way:) Luke and the kids were at the finish line cheering me on. It felt good to finish and to know I can push myself way outside my comfort zone and survive!

Today the only thing that hurts are my Achilles tendons, so I am having a hard time walking. They have never hurt before so maybe it was due to my shoes being to tight or loose? Im not sure. I was expecting my hip or knees to hurt, but they are fine. I came home and hung up my souvenirs on the gym wall.

Im not sure if I will continue with half marathons....If I do, I will definatley train by doing longer runs more often prior to the race! I think for now I will focus on some fun 5 or 10K runs:) Friday I leave for Reno to meet up with my good friend Jen. We are going to our old roommates wedding. Looking forward to another fun filled girls weekend!!

1 comment:

Jen Thorn said...

Maybe some of your determination will rub off on me this weekend! Or we can just go get blizzards:) Can't wait to hang out!!! T-3 days