Luke was gone Elk hunting in Salmon Idaho with no cell service so I couldn't reach him. I sent him a text and just said to call as soon as he could. I called my mom and had another mental breakdown on the phone. I was able to get in for a consult the very next morning. So the picture is a lot more clear.
I have DCIS. It is the earliest stage of breast cancer, in fact, when I googled it, some sites said that it's just 'precancer' that will turn into cancer. It is the size of a pea. It is stage 0. It is Estrogen and Progesterone positive so that means that the cancer is being fed by hormones. The dr. said that is a 'good thing' because they know how to treat that type of cancer. They took my blood to test for the BRCA gene. It is the gene that makes you high risk for having cancer. I now have to have a breast MRI which is scheduled for tomorrow. That will make sure the cancer is localized and they didn't miss anything on the mammogram. Then we wait for the BRCA results to come back. Which can take up to 14 days! So after we get both of those results we can discuss what type of surgery I will need.
The dr. said that if it is localized and the BRCA gene comes back negative that I will have a lumpectomy and radiation, then be placed on a hormone blocking drug called Tamoxifen for 5 years.
If the gene comes back positive, she said they recommend a double mastectomy and remove your ovaries. So, obviously I am hoping for the 1st scenerio. My mom had breast cancer but they never tested her for the gene. So I am just waiting in limbo to find out the results, which has been the worst part.
My days off are the hardest because I am alone and have time to think about all the 'what if''s'. I try to stay busy and keep my mind off of things. I feel like I shouldn't be so upset because there are women who are way worse off than me and I should be glad that we caught this early, but It is tough to stay positive all the time. The kids know and we have talked about mommy having to have surgery but everything will be OK. I think once the results of the MRI and BRCA test come back I will feel a little better, I am a planner and like being in control, so this is throwing a wrench in things. This was my BRCA test box....can't wait to finally hear the results.
On a lighter note...Here are Josie's volleyball pictures. They have a tournament on Saturday and then volleyball will be done for the season.
We have a new marketing manager at work now so he has been pretty creative with pictures. It was dental hygiene appreciation month so every week one of us got to pose for a picture.
I received some of my favorite candy bars and cookies in my locker at work for the appreciation:)
Luke hates cats.... I'll just leave this here:)
Saturday we went to Josie's volleyball game and then dropped her off at Mathnasium. Mathnasium is a tutoring center that she has been going to for help with her math since May. It has really helped her and she is currently getting an A in math. She stays for an hour so we headed to the Home Depot to get some new stain for our front porch. While shopping at the Depot I got a phone call from a mom of one of Landon's friends. Landon was wanting to have a play date with her son so I had asked via text message. Well, She called me and wanted to let me know that she had some concerns about Landon. She said he had been flipping both of her boy's off at school. Long story short, Landon fessed up to it and from what we can gather, he was just trying to be funny or what he thought was cool. We have tried to think of ways to get through to him because he is a hard one to discipline. So, we decided that we would cancel his Laser Quest Birthday party on Saturday. As a parent this was tough to do, but I'm hoping that it gets through to him that his behavior needs to improve. He was pretty upset. Landon has to apologize to his friends at school and work on his behavior.
After we left home depot I pick up Josie and the owner of Mathnasium approached me. He told me that Josie was not doing the work that they asked her to and that she wasn't being rude, but she was not being 'easy to work with'. She gets frustrated easily with math, which is why we have someone else teach her. It was frustrating to hear, and at this point my emotions were already high because I had just got off the phone with the mom telling me about Landon. We got in the car and Josie quickly said that she wanted to go back in and apologize to her instructor and to the owner for her behavior. She did and said she would work on her attitude.
We came home and sanded the front porch. The weather has been really nice so we have been doing as much as we can outside before things change.
Josie helped stain the deck.
Meanwhile, Landon wanted to play football in the backyard with me. For some reason I really got into playing and was running to make a touchdown when I tripped and fell into our fire pit. I banged up my arm on one side and bruised the palm of my hand on the other....Then I hit my hip on a rock and started bleeding from my hand. I totally won the game, but decided to go inside and crack a cold one and give up on Saturday!
Sunday I had breakfast with my friends Jen and Katie. We went to Hygiene school together and Jen lives in Portland so she came for a visit. We didn't take any pictures, but it was nice to catch up and have breakfast.
I came home and worked more on the dresser. It turned out pretty good. Now I'm finishing the bed.
I thought this was funny...
Luke ended up getting his Elk while on his hunting trip. I stole some pictures from his cousin's FB page because Luke doesn't take pictures.
Luke's cousin Kayla
Well, that was the past week in a really big nutshell. I will keep everyone posted on my results!
No comments:
Post a Comment