Monday, December 3, 2018

Week 2...

Last Monday my friend Andrea flew up from Texas to stay the week with me and be my nurse. I wasn't sure if she would be up to the task of changing my drains, she switched her career path from Doctor to Engineer in college because she couldn't handle the medical stuff. To my surprise it didn't bother her at all, or she didn't let on that it did. 3x a day she changed my drains, took me to my dr. appt. on Tuesday, took Josie to her math tutoring and waited on me hand and foot!
I was able to have 2 drains removed last tuesday. Out of this whole process, the drains are the most annoying. So even having 2 taken out made a huge difference in my comfort. It feels really gross when they pull them out. There was about 8 inches of drain underneath the skin! 
I found this diagram of where they place the drains. 

The drains that go up into the armpit are the ones that fill up the most for me. The side where my lymph nodes were removed fills up the quickest. 

 Everyone has been so thoughtful. I have received several care packages, flowers and cards.
 Luke's Company donated money in honor of me to the Susan G Komen fund.
 The kids loved having Andrea here for the week. They all shared a bowl of soup on the couch one night.
 My meal train is in full effect...Last week we had taco's twice, Pizza, enchiladas, and fettuccine Alfredo. Everyone brings dessert too!
 Andrea had to leave on Friday, she was a huge help with the kids and a great nurse!

 My mother in law sent a care package. She even found my favorite easter chocolates...Mini Eggs! Apparently you can get them online at Walmart.

 It's been snowing off and on. I think we had snow, rain, sun and wind all while Andrea was here.
 My breathing had improved throughout the week. In fact by Wednesday I was breathing fine. Friday I woke up and I could barely get a full breath in. It's more terrifying than anything to feel like you can't breathe. I tried using the albuterol inhaler but it wasn't helping. By Saturday morning I was in a full panic. It was getting worse. So, once again we headed to the urgent care. We left the kids at home because they were being picked up to go swimming with some friends, which worked out well. When we arrived at the urgent care it was packed. But, if you tell the front desk lady that you just had a double mastectomy and you can't breathe, they get you back right away! This Dr. didn't have the greatest bedside manner and told me that I might die from a blood clot and if she sent me home she would be liable for my death....So, she told us to go straight to the ER. So, we went to the ER, they immediately did an EKG on me and then sent me to the waiting room. We didn't wait too long, and they brought us back to a private room. Long story short, they did a CT scan of my lungs and checked my blood. They didn't find any blood clots, so that was good...It was my 4th IV in less than a month I might add without me passing out! They had a respiratory therapist come in and gave me a spirometer thing to suck air out of and sent me home. My breathing was slightly better but has been coming and going since Saturday. Today It seems to be doing as well as it has in a long time. Not sure if it's a side effect from the anesthesia? or a respiratory cold that I am fighting? or maybe something to do with hiking 12 miles in San Francisco with my sister in law the weekend before surgery in the thick smoke from all the fires? In any case, I came home and laid down. It doesn't take much to drain my energy these days, so I was wiped out. Not sure why I was smiling in these pictures...guess it's what you do when your being photographed:)
 I'm still a tough one to get an IV on. The nurse had to bring in an ultrasound to find a good vein. After he poked and prodded at the other ones without luck.
 Practicing my breathing...

 I couldn't remember if I was supposed to blow or suck so Luke made it clear for me:)
 I'm starting to get sore from sitting in my chair and sleeping on my back. Last night I only slept about 3 hours and was so frustrated with trying to find a comfortable position to sleep. It's hard to twist or lay on your side with drain tubes coming out of your body on either side. Luke took me to the plastic surgeon this morning and they removed one more drain. I still have one left and am scheduled to have it taken out tomorrow. It was borderline ready to come out but if you take the drain out too soon, the extra fluid can pool under your skin and then they have to go in with a needle and suck it out! Looking forward to being drain free! I meet with my oncologist on Wednesday for post op stuff. Not too sure what info she will have for me, but I'm hoping for good news. Next Monday I get to have my first 'fill' They will start to pump up my boobs! I am really excited to have this done. They fill them once every 1 or 2 weeks until you get to the size you want. I'm hoping that I can get some sleep tonight and be drain free by tomorrow!

No comments: