Sunday, August 19, 2012

Friday Harbor

This weekend Luke and I went to friday harbor on San Juan Island just the two of us. We dropped the kids off in Ellensburg with my parents. First...Josie had a haircut:) She was refusing to brush it or have me do ANYTHING with it, so we chopped it off!! she looks so much better and older! Here are the before and after pics.


 Saturday morning we got on the Victoria Clipper in Seattle bright and early for a 3 hour ferry ride to San Juan Island. All week it had been in the 90's in Seattle, which is rare....that is, until we got there. The weather was cold, foggy and definitely not in the 90's.....This was our view off of the boat for 3 hours.
 When we arrived at Friday Harbor we were supposed to stay on the boat for a Whale Watching 'Search'. Search was the keyword. We decided to get off the boat and 'search' for whales on the beach. The weather was not too bad when we got off the boat. here is the marina....and as a side note...when we got back on the boat that afternoon it turns out their search came up a little short....no whales were seen off the boat either.
 My old boss from Ellensburg has an office on Friday harbor now.  I had my picture taken in front of the office. We didn't have much time on the island, so I didn't get to see him in person...just the sign:) He was voted best boss by the town of Ellensburg a few times. He was very instrumental in me being a hygienist and taught me more than he will ever know.
 We heard about a beach on the other side of the island that you can see whales from called the lime kiln beach. You have to take a shuttle to the other side, so we were driven by a nice little old lady who filled us in on all the 'gossip' of the island. She was pretty strict with her job too. We stopped at a lavender farm to pick up a couple people and I asked her if I could jump out real quick and take a picture....she quickly replied 'NO'.....
We didn't see any whales, our shuttle bus driver said they were 'up north'. But we did see this lighthouse.

 We came back to the other side of the island and it started raining! Here is a picture of the ferry that comes to friday harbor. We took the victoria clipper, not this boat.
 The weather never really did clear up all the way, but it was still nice to just hang out with no kids. Here are a couple pics I took on the way back to seattle.


My parents had a good time with the kids. They went to a parade, people shooting on horseback kind of show in cle elum, and dinner with some friends. They were pretty wiped out:) Last week a huge fire started in between cle elum and Ellensburg. It has burned thousands of acres. My parents house was not in the way, but several others were. It was pretty crazy to see all the burned hills on our way through town. It is still burning and the valley is still pretty smokey, but I think now it is getting close to being contained.
Next weekend we are headed to SunRiver Oregon to spend the weekend with Luke's parents and brother and family. We went last year and had a really good time. Not looking forward to the helaciously long drive with the kids, but looking forward to seeing the family.

1 comment:

Superman's Mommy said...

I love Josie's new hair! Or lack there of! She looks so cute! And for some reason the location thingymcbopper says I'm from gig harbor and or lakebay? Weird. Anyway, cute photos and I keep checking for new ones, get to blogging lady!