This weekend Luke went to Boise with his jeep, so the kids and I went to the Spokane County Fair. We met my friend Crystal and her son Nolan. When we got there Nolan said 'Im going to do mutton busting'. Josie thought it sounded like fun too, but after watching a round she said she didn't want to do it. Well, It turns out Nolan was too big to do it and so we were headed out to do the rest of the fair when Josie said...'no mommy, I want to do it'. Now, anyone who knows Josie knows that she is very timid and notorious for saying she wants to do something and then backing out. I made sure she was serious, paid 10 bucks and signed her up! I was more nervous than her, my heart was pounding. I was hoping she didn't get hurt and that she didn't get up there and decide not to do it. Here she is before the big ride.
Landon kept telling crystal that he wanted to ride the sheep too, he just needed a helmet.
My nerves were frazzled as they suited her up.
Her enthusiasm was still high even after having to wait for 20 minutes.
Here she is...all set to go.
My best hope was that she would make it a little ways and not get hurt....
The music began to play and they announced her name...her little arms and legs held on for dear life....and off she went!!
Here is the video I took....never mind the crazy mom screaming in the video:)
There were over 20 kids that rode after her. We waited behind the chutes watching every other kid fall off and not make it to the end....Little Josie, my timid, non risk taking, girly girl....Won Mutton Bustin'.....!!!!!
She was sooo proud! she got a medal and stood up on the podium.
Here is a video of her getting her award. the lady who took my phone to video her thought my kid was the 3rd place winner....so she focused on the wrong kid to begin with!!
Here is the full video from crystal. her view was a little better than mine:)
Afterwards, she was a mini celebrity. Little kids and adults were congratulating her on her big win and telling her how great she did. Nolan was such a good friend and cheered her on.
A girl from Gonzaga even interviewed her after her win for a class paper....Josie was trying to get the dirt out of her shoes:) Next time I will bring her cowboy boots....Now she is invited back on the last day of the fair to compete in the championships...If she wins the championships, she gets to go to Fresno, CA to compete for a 20,000 scholarship....I asked her if she was excited to do it again and she said, 'do I have a chance to get a bigger prize?'. When I said, 'yes'....she was all about it. She has been talking to me about her new strategy to stay on and how she can't wait to go back and do it again. It was such a great feeling to watch my little Josie succeed. Even if it is just riding a sheep:)....Im so proud of her for doing it!
This little girl was so impressed with Josie that she invited us all to see her goat and sheep that she was showing in the fair and let the kids pet them:)
We then celebrated with bull riding and trampoline jumping.
This is what landon thought of the fair!!
I think landon enjoyed most of the fair....Just not the end part.
1 comment:
Way to go Josie! That is awesome! Great pics! She is so cute on the podium:)
Post a Comment