Monday, February 22, 2016

Josie's first 'away' race...and some pink eye.

Last monday, Luke and I were out and about with the kids when all of a sudden Landon started screaming and crying that his ear hurt. He was inconsolable and his eyes were starting to get pink in color. Landon was next in line to have his hair cut, but we dashed out before they called his name and went straight to urgent care. Luke and Josie dropped us off and they went to Petco to go look at pet stuff. Landon was still crying and couldn't stop pushing on his ear. They quickly took us back. I made him lay down on the bed and rubbed his back. he quickly fell asleep. Landon hasn't been sick in a couple of years so it was so sad to see him not feel good. The dr. had to wake him up to do his examination.


 Turns out he had double ear infections and pink eye! We got his medicine and some Popsicle's and headed home. He fell back asleep in the truck.

 He mustered up a little smile while watching Jurassic park and eating his Popsicle's. About 20 minutes after we gave him the motrin and antibiotics he was up and running around like nothing had been wrong! He has been fine ever since! we kept him home from school on tuesday due to having pink eye, but he was ready to go back!
Before Landon's ear started hurting the kids opened the mail and got their valentines day cards and money from my parents....we had a gift card from christmas to toys r us so the kids used there money and the gift card to pick out toys at toys r us that day.
Friday Landon had kindergarten round up. They take the kids and assess them to make sure they are ready for kindergarten. Landon passed with flying colors. They said he is great with his numbers and just needed to work on his fine motor skills...like zipping things and tying his shoes:) Landon is very excited to go to the 'big school' like Josie does. Kindergarten will be all day every day in the fall, which is new this year. I still can't believe he is that old already!
Saturday and Sunday Josie had her first 'away races'. These races were at Mt. Spokane. It takes about an hour to get there from our house and we had to be there at 7am! I took Josie on Saturday and Luke took her on Sunday. That way we didn't have to bring Landon and try to entertain him all day. Saturday we arrived early and the lodge was very busy. The girls meet up with their coaches and do an 'inspection' of the course. It is where they go through it slowly and memorize the course. This race was a Slalom race where the gates are closer together. Mt. Spokane is great for watching because you can see the whole course from the lodge so I didn't have to put my ski's on or buy a lift ticket to watch her. Someone took her coat and pants at the top of the hill and then bought them down. this is the lodge that is just for the ski racers.
 The weather turned out great!

 Josie did so well on her first run. She was in 12th place, which is pretty amazing because there were over 20 girls competing and they are from all different mountains, not just schweitzer. When Josie came down she said ' I think I DQ'd'....sure enough, Josie missed one of the gates at the end of the course which disqualifies you and makes you unable to place no matter how good your time is...she was so bummed. although she wasn't the only one to do it:)
Here is a video of her first run.
she pulled it together and did a second run. It was fast and clean, no missed gates! I was so proud of her, she did awesome and if anything she overcame her fear of skiing at a different mountain:) Here is her second run.
After her second run we were in the lodge and she ran into her friend Josie from school. Josie does cross country skiing and is on our Josie's soccer team. I forgot to mention that Josie got her braces off on thursday as you can see in this picture...she was so excited!
We left the mountain a little after 5pm....it was a long day, but a great experience for Josie. I was able to meet a lot of the ski racing parents and it was nice to make some new friends:) Sunday I stayed home with Landon and Luke took her up bright and early again. Luke didn't take any pictures. Josie skied her heart out. I was at home being a nervous mom pacing the house and doing some crazy organizing to keep me busy. I haven't been home on a weekend since the beginning of December, so it was nice to get some stuff done! They have a website called livetiming.com you can go online to the specific race that your kid is in and it is live results of the races....so I was pacing around watching the live timing website to see josie's results. Her first run was great!...then luke called and said she missed a gate and DQ'd ...again!! I guess she came down crying because she knew she missed it....So heartbreaking. Her second run she did great and didn't miss any gates...apparently several girls missed gates on the second run and were disqualified. So if Josie would have not missed her gates, I think she would have been 14th or 15th? which is still pretty good...oh well, she said it was fun and is excited to do it again:) Meanwhile at home..I was hanging out with Landon.....


 Luke and Josie got home around 5:30 and they were both wiped out...Josie was all smiles and said she was excited for the next race. I love her new found attitude and confidence she has. She may not be the fastest racer, but she really enjoys it and we enjoy watching her.

No comments: