The kids gather around and then split up into small groups. Each group practices a skill. I was really impressed with Josie's golfing skills. I was so proud of her. One of the skills was hitting a ball out of a sand trap and having the ball land into a bucket or a small circle. Josie was winning the sand trap challenge
I was relaxing in the shade watching and the other kids were standing to the golfers '10 o clock' position....which at the time I didn't think much of. I am not sure if it was a mothers intuition or just me being a what if thinker...but I thought, those kids are awfully close to the golfer....at that moment I watched as the little girl in the sand trap took a swing at the golf ball and it went straight into Josie's Face. I keep reliving the moment over and over in my head. I still cry thinking about it. It sounded like a ball hitting a tree, but it was the sound of josie's front teeth being shattered by a golf ball. I don't think I have ever ran so fast in my life. When I got to her all I saw was blood and teeth shattered on her shirt. She was screaming 'my teeth! my teeth!'...I was in shock. One of the coaches immediately brought us a golf cart and brought us to my car. Poor Josie just kept saying, 'I just want my teeth back!'. I kept saying 'don't panic'..over and over again to her and I think for myself too. Her lips were both split open and at first I thought I would just take her to the ER. When I got her to the car I tried to wipe up all the blood to see what was wrong. I took this picture.
This is a pretty good shot, being that my fingers are covering both of her lips that were cut open. When I saw it was her teeth, I remembered that I work for a dental office, so why not take here there. I called my boss and by some miracle, she was still at the office. Which normally she is not at the office on a monday, let alone that late at night. I was only 5 minutes away from my office which was good. Me and Josie were both covered in blood, poor josie was still screaming and crying. My boss got her numb and basically covered the exposed pulp chambers of her teeth and then built up her top tooth to make it look like a tooth again. She did a good job and later josie said she was more worried that the swelling of her lips would never go down. As dr. murdoch was working on her she said 'can I still get my kitten?'....So we did. We went to get the kittens after her teeth were patched up. Luke and Landon met us at my office.
Landon named his toothless
Josie named her cappuccino
After the motrin kicked in and the euphoria of having 2 new kittens, she actually was in pretty good spirits. I on the other hand was a complete basket case. I held it together until we were on our way home with the kittens and started crying when I had to call Carli to tell her that she didn't need to come to the house on Tuesday because Luke was staying home with Josie. Josie was sitting next to me with the kittens in the back seat and kept saying 'mommy, I'm OK'.
She was bleeding so bad when dr. murdoch was working on her that it was hard for her to do a 'perfect' job. she tried to build up her lower tooth but it was so painful, josie could feel it even after it was numb so she just covered the chamber up and called it good.
I cried myself to sleep. I think because I am in the Dental field I just know that when you damage your permanent teeth, especially your front teeth, they will never be the same. My boss called the endodontist (dr. who does root canals) that we work with and asked him his opinion. She also called a pedodontist (kids dentist) and got josie in on tuesday morning so she could evaluate Josie. Luke took her to the Pedodontist on tuesday and It happened to be on my lunch break so I ran over to see Josie. They were so great there. They put her on Nitrous oxide to help calm her and then she removed the filling material on the lower tooth and put some medicine in the pulp chamber. she didn't do it on the top because she wasn't aware that there was pulp exposure and she said she wouldn't have known where the pulp was exposed. Now we wait 6 weeks to see if her teeth turn black. If they do, it means that they are dead and she will need root canals. It could take up to 6 months for them to turn black, but the first 6 weeks will be a good indication. weather or not they need root canals, she will need to have a more permanent tooth fix. As a kid, probably just filling material. as she gets older, maybe crowns or if the tooth dies, possibly an implant. I didn't eat tuesday, barely ate wednesday, was in a deep depression all week. I cried inbetween every patient at work and had to take sleeping pills to get me to sleep at night. Meanwhile, Josie was happy and running around like nothing ever happened. I think she doesn't know the extent of the damage to her teeth and that is why I am so devastated. After wallowing in self pity and thinking 'why josie' I thought, what if it would have been her eye that was hit? or her nose? or her head or windpipe?! It could have been way worse. On the news Tuesday night there was a story about a little girl that was hit by a car on the way to the bus stop. Josie's teeth are fixable, it could have been worse. Wednesday she felt good enough to go on her field trip to Riverpark Square. Luke took the day off and went with her. This was her face on Wednesday. I am surprised how fast her lips have healed.
Friday Landon had his preschool Graduation. It was supposed to be an outdoor picnic, the teddy bear picnic. But, just like when Josie had her picnic...It poured rain. They ended up having the picnic inside. All the kids signed an apron for Miss Barb, the head preschool teacher. She was Josie's teacher too in preschool. She is also moving up to teach kindergarten next year so landon might have her again. They have a tradition at Freeman School where the whole elementary and middle school line the halls and then the Seniors walk the halls and high five all the kids. Freeman only has one elementary and one middle school and one high school so the graduating class is somewhere around 65 kids.
when we were going to leave, landon grabbed my hand and pulled me over to Piper. She was his girlfriend in February....well, he wanted to say goodbye to her for the summer:)
Friday night Luke watched the kids and Carli took me out for an early birthday celebration. We went downtown for some shopping, drinking and eating....It was a fun little get away.
Saturday was my birthday. We decided to go hiking. There is a really cool trail just east of Lake Coeur D'alene called Mineral Springs. We found it online and it sounded fun, so we went. It was a little chilly to start out with and there was some threats of rain, but it turned out to be a pretty nice day.
I think it is easier to get a picture of 'silly faces' rather than us all smiling and looking at the camera:)
Hiking with kids involves a lot of resting and snacking:) the whole trail was a little over 3 miles and the kids did great.
I brought my nice camera so Josie used it to take photos.
I love where we live. It is so pretty:)
Landon taking a potty break:)
Josie put the candles on my cake:)
Turning 38 was pretty painless. I think after the week we had it felt good to just spend time with Luke and the Kids and appreciate all we have. It made me realize how lucky we are. I know it was just a golf ball to the face....but it showed how quickly an accident can happen. Josie keeps saying that she wishes she could turn back time and try to block the ball with her hand....I wish I could turn back time too....but I guess this will just be another memory for all of us and we can't change it.
Today, Luke was in a golf tournament with some friends. They won the whole thing and he took home 100 bucks! I let Josie and Landon each invite a friend over. Josie chose Isabel and Landon chose Rebel. It started out so good....The girls were snuggling kittens and the boys were eating Popsicle's and playing legos.
I always thought Landon was a rowdy little boy...but after spending the afternoon with 2 little boys....Landon is a pretty mellow kid!! Landon is learning that just because your friend does it...doesn't mean it is right....So the boys emptied the pool, made a mud bath and then rode their bikes through it.
The girls made a latte stand for the boys...but they ran up spit the water out and then broke the cups!! What?! who does that??!!
The girls took the kittens in the back yard for the first time.
The cat's were not impressed.
Meanwhile, the boys were driving the jeep through the mud, Rebel thought it was fun to run everything over and try and jump the rocks around the fire pit! With the boys, I couldn't let them out of my sight without something happening....I think I could have left the girls all day with the kittens and they would have been fine. It is beyond me how boys make it to adulthood!
I took a video of the kids and took a screen shot of the look on their faces:)










No comments:
Post a Comment