the kids got awards and a shirt.
My parents were able to be there.
Josie's friends Annie and Emma got awards too.
After the awards Josie had her 'teach the teacher' project. She added a balloon on top of a coke bottle and added mentos to it.
After spending a day at the race track, it was evident that Landon's Bike was not a 'racing bike'. His little motorcycle weighs over 100 pounds. Landon weighs around 50. It has 3 gears that he has to try to shift through. When he goes over a jump, there is hardly any suspension so it is very clunky. Luke found a good deal on a KTM, which is made for racing and brought it home. Well, It was too big and so landon couldn't reach the ground with his feet. He tried riding it and it had so much power, it spun out and he fell off and scared him. So...here he is with Luke, shopping for a smaller bike, while sitting on his KTM that was too big.
There is a track in the tri cities, about 2 hours south of here called Horn Rapids. Our new friends had told us about it and randomly a friend of mine from Highschool, who lives in Ellensburg said she was going too with her kids. So we decided to make a weekend out of it. Saturday was all day practice and Sunday was the race. Saturday Landon practiced for about 4 hours. Josie even got on her bike and rode the pee wee track. They have a pee wee track and a 'Big Track'.
Josie liked the pee wee track until it got busy. It stressed her out to have a bunch of other kids racing
around her.
Josie said she does not want to race:) I can't say I blame her, its pretty intimidating. I'm proud of her for getting out there and riding.
This is the view of the big track from where we parked.
I wasn't sure which track Landon's race was going to be on so I made him practice the big track. They practice with like size bikes but there were probably 20 or so kids lined up at the start, all revving their engines. It's loud and Landon got nervous and started crying. Randomly a nice man on a motorcycle rode up behind him and asked us if we wanted him to follow landon on the big track to keep him safe from the other bikes (Landon was one of the smallest kids who practiced on the big track) and to help him if he fell. We were so thankful that he offered to help. Landon did great and make 3 laps without falling. He told us that he liked the big track better than the pee wee one and wanted to race on the big track on sunday. The nice man finished and rode off. Turns out he was parked right next to us. we thanked him and chatted for a bit.
Landon was pretty tired, but wanted to ride the pee wee track again...I randomly snapped a picture right as he fell. This was one of many falls, he was ok:)
Saturday afternoon we went to our hotel and watched the kids swim.
We stopped and got ice cream, Landon woke up for that. We watched some TV and fell asleep.
Landon was wiped out.
Sunday was the big day. I wasn't sure which race to sign him up for and he said he wanted to race the big track, so I signed him up for the big track. Before the races start, each class gets to have 10 minutes of practice. So Landon lined up for practice and took off. He ended up falling a couple of times and ended up being the Last little one on the track...well, his 10 minutes ran out before he was off the track and they let the next class of riders go. They were the adults with the big bikes! Poor Landon rode as fast as he could and exited the track right before the big bikes passed him. He was not too excited and I made the 'mom decision' to switch him to the pee wee track for the race! Here are 2 video's of landon's practice.
Landon and his Motocross Hair.
My friend Tiffany that I went to Ellensburg High school with was there with her kids who are ages 6and 8. I had not seen her in almost 8 years!
We decided to bring landon's new KTM that was too big to the race and try to sell it. We made a sign and put it out to sell. Less than an hour went by and some guy called and bought it!
Being that we are new to the sport, I didn't really know what classes to sign him up for. Turns out I could have signed him up for a different class, but the one he was in worked.
He really improved on his starting gate skills compared to his first race:)
Fast forward to last night, after we got home I checked the website to see the final results...They had Landon in last place?!? What! I was pretty fired up because I know for a fact he was not last and actually lapped the 7th place rider. There is no proof and no timers so it's my word against the flagger's word. The problem is that there is a point system and at the end of all the races they get points and can win something at the end. I emailed the track, but haven't heard anything. I'm over it, but it still makes me mad because I know he did way better than that.
We were watching the Adults race and the announcer brought attention to a racer that was in the lead, who also went to the olympics in the 80's for downhill ski racing! We realized that it was the same man who offered to follow landon around the track and parked next to us the day before! His name is Steve Mahre. He lives in Yakima. The kids took their jerseys over to him and had him sign them. They thought that was pretty cool.
The kids made all sorts of new friends and so did we. I'm learning more and more about the sport. Apparently a race is called a Moto. who knew?!
It turned out to be a great day, it was my Birthday after all:) On the way home we stopped at DQ and had some ice cream. Landon talked the whole way home about his day and how much fun he had. He finally passed out when we were almost home.
so did Walter...Not too sure he liked being a track dog, but he did pretty well.
Josie missed her end of the year Lacrosse party on saturday, so I stopped by my friends house and picked up her team photo's. Her coach made a whole memory book for each team member and a Lacrosse keychain. Josie is #8. She is not too sure if she will play it next year, I think she just liked the social aspect of it.
Luke found another KTM that is a 'mini'. It has the same motor as the bigger one, but it is smaller so landon's feet actually touch the ground. So, like a good dad, Luke drove over 400 miles round trip to Kalispel Montana to buy landon a KTM mini. Landon was hesitant to get on it because he was so scared by the other KTM he rode. He said 'I will only ride it for 1 lap'....Well, one lap turned into an Hour, and us making him stop. The new bike is an automatic so he doesn't have to shift and he can touch the ground..
No comments:
Post a Comment