Thursday morning we woke up bright and early and headed to the hospital. This surgery was at the valley hospital, about 25 minutes from our house. Check in time was 5:30 am. When we arrived they made me 'shower' with a bunch of warm rags and of course put on a gown.
I got another sweet pair of hospital socks.
When I got there they put in the IV and then took me back to a room where they injected some blue dye into my boob. It wasn't pleasant, but I survived. Then you have to wait for 2 hours for the dye to drain into your lymph nodes. Luke sat and waited with me.
I didn't even pass out when they put in my IV. My veins are always hard to find, so it takes them a while to get one in but it wasn't too bad.
I was terrified to be put under, but once they put the mask on my nose...I don't remember a thing. I woke up and it was time to go home! I went home and slept for the rest of the day. I did some texting and talked to some people, but I don't remember much of the day. My arm was really sore. Friday I woke up and seemed to feel fine. So instead of taking a pain pill, I took a tylenol. That was a big mistake. about an hour later I was in so much pain I took 2 pain meds, which then made me nauseous....they gave me some anti nausea pills so I took one of those. Later that day I felt better so Luke and I went to a medical supply store to rent a 'mobility chair'. One of my friends who has been through this same surgery before recommended renting a chair that automatically reclines and ejects you too. They only had samples at the store. You order it and then they deliver it to your house.
My incision after 3 days. They put glue all over it so it's hard to tell how big it is, but it hurt.
All weekend I just laid low and tried not to move my arm too much. showering and getting dressed were quite a chore. I don't like to accept help, but I'm going to have to if I want to make it through the rest of my recovery. Saturday my friend Lisa who was diagnosed with breast cancer too stopped by. She was able to have a lumpectomy with radiation and is almost done with her radiation. She came by and brought me some ice cream and hung out for the afternoon.
My mobility chair showed up today...It's actually pretty nice and matches our furniture. Josie quickly took it over.
I got the results from my biopsy today and my lymph nodes were clear, meaning they did not find any cancer in the lymph nodes. This was great news. I had my pre op appointment with the plastic surgeon this morning. She gave me all sorts of prescriptions to have filled in preparation for the big day. I check in on Wednesday morning at 7:30am and surgery will be shortly after. I have the option to spend the night if I want to that night. It turns out one of my good friends who is a nurse works in that department and will most likely be my nurse if I spend the night on Wednesday. I will just wait and see how I am feeling. I have felt like I have been getting a chest cold so the dr. gave me some antibiotics just in case. Hoping it passes before the surgery day. I am going to work tomorrow to keep my mind off of what is happening on wednesday. I will then be off until the new year most likely. I'm not as nervous for this surgery, now that I know going under isn't that scary. Just not looking forward to the recovery process. Not sure when I will be able to update the blog after my surgery. I don't know how well my arms will be working:) Thanks to everyone for the support and kind words. My friend set up a meal train and it looks like we will have a lot of food coming our way after thanksgiving. I plan on just relaxing and taking pain meds for thanksgiving;)...
No comments:
Post a Comment