Conferences went well. Josie got raving reviews and has straight A's. Landon needs help in math and is 'a bit chatty' in class. Overall they are both doing well.
Tuesday was Landon's 8th birthday. It was also the day I was receiving the results from my biopsy. I was halfway through my day at work when I checked my phone and got the results. My nurse,Kate, who has been amazing, said that the second biopsy was positive for IDC which is an invasive type of cancer. She said that because both cancers that they found are not close together they would have to do a mastectomy. I ended up leaving work because I was so upset. My office has been very understanding and supportive but I still felt bad. I came home and then proceeded to celebrate Landon's birthday. It was hard to put on a happy face but we went to Hu Hot Mongolian grill, His pick, and for dessert we went next door to Amy's donuts. Luke and I didn't buy him any birthday presents because the extended family takes care of it for us:)
Amy's Donuts has the most outlandish donut selection.
Landon had one with marshmallows on top, Josie had hers dipped in reeces peanut butter cup cereal and I had mine dipped in m and m's. It was pretty sugary and I like sugar, but the kids loved them. Luke didn't partake in the sugar rush:)
Wednesday was Halloween. I had a consult with the Oncologist that afternoon. Luke met me and just walking into the waiting room was depressing. It was full of old people with walkers and scarf's on their heads looking sad and defeated. I was the youngest by probably 30 years. My Dr. explained both of the cancers and her reasoning for the mastectomy. She said that we were waiting on one more test to come back. if the test came back positive it would mean that chemo was required before I had surgery. She also said that if I had a single mastectomy, there would be a 40% chance of the cancer coming back in my Left breast within 20 years. The part that scares me is that the invasive cancer was not detected on a 3D mammogram. It was detected on the MRI. I made the decision to just get rid of both my boobs. This was not an easy decision, but I feel like it potentially could be saving my life. So, then we had to wait for the results of the test that determined if I needed chemo. The dr. said I would find out the next day, Thursday. We came home and met up with Josie's friend Isabel and her family and went trick or treating. The weather turned out to be pretty nice. Landon was the Grave digger Driver, Dennis Anderson...
Josie was a Ninja
Isabel was a gumball dispenser.
We spent over an hour trick or treating and the kids got plenty of candy.
Josie wore her costume to Mathnasium last week so she received 'extra credit'.
All day at work on Thursday I checked my phone, but results never came. I called my nurse Kate, but she said they didn't receive them and it would probably be Friday before we knew. Waiting has been the hardest part of this whole process. Friday morning I finally got the call from Kate. She asked if I had a few minutes to go over my test results....I though that it would be bad news...why would I need a few minutes to explain good results!? Turns out, it was good news and I don't need chemo prior to my surgery!! They still will test my lymph nodes when I have surgery and if cancer is present in my lymph nodes, I might have to do radiation and or chemo at that time. But I will take it one step at a time. My next appointment is with the plastic surgeon who will be doing my reconstruction. I decided to have reconstruction so that I wouldn't look like a boy for the rest of my life. The surgeon ended up calling me a few hours later and scheduled my appointment for this Tuesday. I'm not sure if we will make a surgery date from there or how that will pan out, but things seem to be moving right along.
Friday I left to meet up with my friend Jen from Hygiene school. We had planned this get together several months ago and so It was perfect timing to have a relaxing get away. We were supposed to stay at Suncadia near Cle Elum. Turns out there was a fire in the lodge a couple of weeks ago and our room reservation was cancelled. Thank goodness the spa was still open because we had reserved massages. We ended up staying in Cle Elum and just driving to our spa appointment. Friday we met and went to Dinner. I love that they gave me a bendy straw in my Margarita.
Cle Elum and Roslyn like to paint a lot of things on the sides of buildings.
Saturday we headed to the spa...They had a fire restoration team cleaning out the lodge.
Pre massage....no make up wearing robes picture.
Probably one of the most welcomed massages I have ever had.
Afterwards we headed to the Roslyn Cafe for Lunch...It was kind of bright outside....
We did some shopping...I almost bought this sign, because our family loves taco's. But Luke said he could just make one:)
We then headed to the Roslyn Theatre. When I lived in Ellensburg we would come here often. It hadn't changed a bit.
The theatre used to be an old mortuary years and years ago. Now it is a laid back movie theatre.
pets are welcome and they have blankets if you want to use one. We called ahead and reserved seats upstairs.
This is the whole theatre...that is Jen standing where we sat.
They reserved our seats.
we watched The First Man. It was about Neil Armstrong. It was really good.
Today we slept in as late as we could, which wasn't very late being it was daylight savings time. We had coffee together and said our goodbyes. I had such a great time and it was so nice to relax and get my mind off of everything for a while. On the way home I drove by our old house in Ellensburg. The new owners painted it gray, but other than that it looked pretty much the same.
No comments:
Post a Comment