Monday, April 15, 2019

I'm Port Free!!!

Last Friday we headed to the hospital bright and early at 6:30am. They brought me back and then told me they were going to start an IV. When I had my port placed it took 45 minutes and 4 different nurses to get one started on me so I let them know that. They put the tourniquet on my arm and then realized that I don't have big juicy veins...so they said, 'we will talk to the Dr. and see if one is necessary.'  The Dr. came in and said that if I wanted to be sedated they would start an IV, but he didn't think it was necessary. Removing the port is a relatively  easy procedure and the risk of anything going wrong is low. He said that he could just do it under local anesthetic if I was ok with that. I was totally ok with that! So no IV was necessary:) I changed into the customary hospital gown and once again they gave me the XXL size socks:)

 They wheeled me into the OR and set everything up. they put a big drape in front of your face so you can't see what they are doing. They got me numb and started working to get the port out. I guess it had adhered to my skin a lot and he had to yank and pull on it quite a bit to get it to come out. The whole procedure didn't take very long. After it was over they wheeled me into the recovery room, took my vitals and I was able to get up and walk out! No wheelchair necessary! Once the numbing wore off  it hurt pretty bad. It's still pretty sore where the incision is, but it feels so good not to have a foreign object protruding out of my chest anymore! They only had to re-cut into one scar, not both, so that was nice:)
 That night was the mother son carnival at the school. I went last year and it is basically a carnival for the kids while the moms stand around and talk to other moms. I was pretty sore and not in the mood to go socialize with a bunch of other moms.....so my friend Suzanne took Landon for me so he got to hang out with his other friends.
This weekend was the first weekend since November that we haven't been at the mountain. Josie went to a friends house for the weekend and Landon and Luke went mountain biking while I laid on the couch and rested all weekend. Today I had my practice run of radiation. It was quick and easy. They just lined me up with all the lasers on the machine and took a couple of pictures.  I start the real thing tomorrow! The actual radiation part takes less time than getting undressed and set up in the machine. I have to apply lotion 2-3 times a day on my right breast to help it from getting too sunburned and dried out. They said it can cause fatigue but nothing compared to Chemo. I have noticed that I have been really tired lately. Not tired enough to take a nap or sleep, but just worn down. I am going back to work next Tuesday to I am hoping it doesn't drag me down too much!
The kids have been enjoying their leopard gecko's and still like playing with them.


Josie had not had a haircut in probably a year so we had her hair cut last week. She really likes it.
This is my last week off of work so I am trying to make the most of it. I am excited to have some sort of routine back in my life, but I'm nervous that I am going to be tired and I haven't been to work since last november. I've been having dreams that I forget how to do my job, or I'm late for work! I'm sure I'll get my groove back, but it might take a week or two!

No comments: