Monday, April 29, 2019

4 weeks post chemo and back to work!

I went back to work last Tuesday. I was 2 patients in and thought I had made the wrong decision to go back. I was exhausted and wasn't sure I was going to make it through the day. I have an hour and a half for lunch because I get radiation during that time so it helped to have a long lunch. My Oncology office is 2 minutes from my office so it is really convenient when I am at work. The whole process only takes me about 15 minutes total so that leaves me with plenty of time to recover and then I usually only have 2 patients after lunch. Wednesday and Thursday were better and my energy was up. It felt good to be back at work and to be somewhat normal again.
Josie has started taking her horse lessons. She loved every minute of it and did very well. They are going to teach her how to jump so she is really excited. She took her first lesson on Scooter, who is a really great lesson horse.


She also decided to run for Secretary of her school. She made posters and then had to give a speech on friday. She didn't win, but I was really proud of her!


Landon has been mountain biking with Luke. Last week they ran into a Bull snake in the trail!

Landon has not had a 'real' bed ever since we got rid of his crib. He has been sleeping on 2 mattresses and a frame. Our friends were selling one of their kids beds so we bought it for Landon.
After living in our house for 11 years, we finally put up some curtains in our bedroom. Every year when it starts getting light early in the morning it wakes us up super early...So now we can hopefully sleep in past 5am in the summer!


Sunday Landon got back on his dirt bike for the first time since last August when he hurt his arm. I wasn't sure that he would ride again but he got back on and loved it. 




 our neighbor Rudy came over and rode with him.
 My friend Crystal went to massage school but never finished because she wanted to do something different. She came over last night and brought her table and gave me a massage. It was amazing. I felt so pampered having a massage in my own bedroom!
 It was so windy this weekend the stop sign by our house blew over! I went for a mountain bike ride around the dirt roads by our house sunday morning. It was cold and windy and I thought I wasn't going to make it because the hills are so steep...but I powered through. It's been frustrating trying to get my cardio back!
My dad had a spinal fusion a couple of weeks ago. He had some complications after surgery with his bowels not waking up but recovered from that and got to come home. He was up and walking every day and doing everything he was supposed to. Last week all of a sudden he was walking down the hall and his legs gave out from under him. It happened 3 times and so my mom called the doctor. They had to go to the ER in Yuma and they said that there was no neurosurgeon there so they had to helicopter him to the Mayo clinic in Phoenix where he had the surgery originally. They can't find anything majorly wrong. He had some fluid around his spine but they said the body will absorb it. So, now he is back in Yuma at a rehab physical therapy place so they can work with him every day to build strength in his muscles to see if they can get him walking again. He has feeling in his legs and can move and lift them, just can't stand on them. Super scary and frustrating to not have an exact answer of why this is happening. Dad is a fighter though so I know with some therapy and some time he will get his legs working again!
On to another week of radiation. So far my skin still looks normal. I have completed a total of 9 out of 28 days of radiation. The hair on my head is now peach fuzz! It is encouraging to see that it is growing back slowly. My eyebrows completely fell out about 2 weeks after chemo was over! I just draw them on now. My eyelashes are coming back in slowly too. I am not one for having a lot of patience especially when it comes to my hair....so I will just keep trudging on with my baldness:)

No comments: