Monday, June 23, 2014

Sprint boat races

This was our 3rd year going to the Sprint Boat races. They are in the middle of nowhere (st john, washington) in a farmers field. It is about an hour south of our house so normally we just drive down and back in one day. This year we decided to take our travel trailer and camp there. The kids had a blast and our family friends Tom and Jill camped there too. Friday night they have all the boats in town so you can chat with the drivers and look at the boats. Landon and Josie loved seeing the boats up close.

 One of the drivers signed his poster and gave them to the kids.
 They even got to sit in the boat...Landon loved it because it had Seahawks colors:)


The Sprint boats go from 0-80 in about 4 seconds and then follow a tight course. We talked with one of the teams on friday and they were a father daugher team. Well, that team ended up crashing and the boat rolled end over end. They were ok, but the boat was totaled. It was pretty scary to watch. Here is Landon watching the races.

 The kids ended up making friends with some of the other kids in the audience so they were entertained all day.
 Halfway through the day my stomach decided that I needed to be by a bathroom ASAP! So I spent some quality time back at the trailer trying to get rid of whatever was bothering me....I didn't have any pepto or stomach medicine, so I drove the 1 mile or so into the town of St. John to buy some...well, apparently the WHOLE town shuts down for the boat races. Even the gas station?! The only thing that was open was the Tavern and some random Lady selling hot dogs on the side of the road...It was very much a scene from a steven king movie...So, I drove back to the races and asked one of the paramedics if they had anything....nope, they did not...so they took me to the medical tent and one of the nurses had some in her purse:).....she was a life saver.....I started to feel better and got on with my day, but it definitely put a damper on my day!...Meanwhile, josie was taking selfies with my phone.
 After the races were over we went to the pits to see the boats again. There was a band playing music and a whole lot of drunk folks walking around:)
 Landon quickly latched on to Jill and wanted her to carry him around. He wore his Jammies to the pits:)
 On a different note, I have kicked up my running a notch. I was really excited with my progress and feeling good about running again.....until....last week I knocked out 4 miles (for me this is a lot) Ever since then, my hip is killing me. The good news is that the pain is in a different spot than it normally is...but it is not getting better. I think my Liver might give out before my hip due to the amount of IBprofen I have been ingesting. I have been stretching and putting ice on it. I am going to try to rehab it in time for this weekend for the 5k I signed up for in Sunriver! I took a picture of my run the other day. I did 4 miles in 43 minutes:)....So if my hip holds out, I should do fine with the 5k.

No comments: