Monday, January 30, 2017

ski racing, strep throat and friday nights....

This time of year my blog becomes a little redundant. Skiing every weekend, my pictures are all of the same things:) Luke took a couple pictures from our condo last weekend. It is so pretty.

 After the previous weekend skiing with Landon I was a little hesitant to ski with him again on Sunday. His friend Janie came with us this time. I'm not sure if it was because he was trying to impress a girl this time or it was just a 'good' day for Landon, but we had so much fun with the two of these kids. We skied all the same runs that we did the week before when Landon was being crabby and skiing like a baby...But this time, he whizzed down all of the same runs with no problem.

On a side note...nothing to do with skiing....I quit my job at Smiles for Today last week. I have been there for 11 years as a Hygienist. My boss unbeknownst to us sold the practice to a young dentist from colorado. We found out on a tuesday and the new dentist started a week later. I was excited at first because I thought it would be a fresh start and maybe we could be a better practice under new management. Well....He has never run a business and is learning as he goes. Long story, but it is not where I really want to be in my Hygiene career. I don't want to start from scratch. A lot of our patients are leaving and a lot are telling me that they are only staying because I am there. Which makes me feel good, but it has gotten to the point where so many patients are leaving I only had 2 on thursday. So I applied for 3 different jobs and was offered 2 of the jobs. The 3rd one wanted me to do a working interview. I took the job that I had the best feeling about. It is still 3 days a week. I start on February 13th. I told my current boss and he was understanding. He asked if I could stay until he found a new hygienist. I said I would stay for 2 weeks:) My new place is called Smile Source. there are 2 doctors there Dr. Ellingsen and Dr. Henneberg.  Here is the webpage for the office.   http://smilesourcespokane.com/

I am really nervous to start over at a new practice, but excited to meet new people and hopefully become a better hygienist. I was questioning my decision, but when I left work on thursday my boss was outside cleaning the windows because he had no patients.... Not a good sign!!! I hope he does well, but It was time for me to go!
Friday night was the last friday night race series race. After they race they give out awards for fastest girl and fastest boy, most improved and then do a bunch of raffles, so every kid wins something. they have Ice Cream and the kids love it. Landon was very close to winning most improved as an individual. His team ended up winning most improved and they all won a medal. He was the littlest and youngest team member:)

 Josie didn't win anything, but she got some cool raffle prizes:)
 They get T-shirts too.
 Landon was very excited for his medal.

After the party Luke and Josie left for home because Josie had an away race at Mt. Spokane on Saturday and Sunday. Saturday Landon skied with his team and I skied with some friends. It was a fun day and the weather was great. Landon and Janie had lunch together. she now gets to ski in Landon's group.

Away races are a lot of work, you have to be to the mountain by 6:45am ish...the first chair loads at 7:30 so you have to get up early and drive to the mountain and be all ready to go by 7:30. Luke surprised Josie with some new GS poles. They are curved poles for racing:)
 Luke took a few pics..this is looking down from the top of the course.
 And, looking up at the course.
 One of her runs.

 The lodge at mt. Spokane is very small. It is a lodge designed just for the racers but it fills up super quick. Luke, Rudy and some other ski racing dads put up a tent in the parking lot and had a BBQ. The management of mt. Spokane was not super pleased, but they didn't stop them from doing it.

Josie did great..she told luke she wasn't feeling that good and her throat hurt that day. After her first run she was in 12th place. They only place to 10....her second run she ended up in 15th place. I think there are over 30 girls she races against, so all in all not too bad. We were proud of her. That night Luke brought her home and took her temperature because she said she didn't feel good. It was 103! Long story short, Luke took her to urgent care Sunday morning and she has strep throat! Lila woke up Sunday morning with the same thing and she and her brother have it too! So both girls didn't get to race on Sunday. Josie was really bummed. Now we keep our fingers crossed that no one else gets it!
She slept for over 18 hours, woke up this morning and is feeling better. I kept her home from school today.
 Saturday night Landon and I went on a date in the village at Schweitzer. We ended up getting Pizza because the restaurant was too full. They were having a huge regional ski race there and apparently they were all eating where we wanted to go. It was nice to spend the weekend with just me and him. Sunday morning we slept in and went skiing, just me and Landon. I'm not sure what happened, but it was probably one of the most enjoyable ski days I have ever had with him. He was such a good boy, with a great attitude and blew me away with his skiing. There were a couple runs that I had to say to him 'mommy can't do that run'...He likes to go through the trees and hit jumps....We had several people comment on how well he was skiing and what  good boy he was...Sunday made up for 2 sundays ago, when I was ready to throw his ski's away and never ski with him again:) He did the Nastar course and got his best time ever..I tried to video it with my phone. I need to get our go pro attached to my helmet so It will come out better.
We skied most of the day and then came home. It was a fun day. I just felt bad for Josie that she was so sick and had to miss her race.
At The kids school they get to go snowshoeing for PE...My friend sent me a couple pics of Josie and her friends...
 I had to laugh because if you look in the background, you can see two boys fighting:)
Landon's kindergarten teacher sent me a pic of Landon when he got to go.
My last day of work at Smiles for Today is February 7th. So I have a mini vacation of time off. I hope my decision to leave was a good one. I hate change and am stepping out of my comfort zone but I think it will be a good change for me.

No comments: