Pictures came back from the banked slalom race..Here is Landon.
And Josie
and a pic from the finals. Josie is the pink helmet on the Left.
Last week we added 2 new family members. Wolverene and Tigger.
They are leopard Gecko's. I have been saying no to any type of reptiles for years, but Landon used his own money and I caved and said yes to the Geckos. Cancer has given me a new outlook on life....it's too short, just get the geckos....Now, If they would have wanted a snake....I probably would have said NO:) they are in a cage in Josie's room.
They are pretty low maintenance and the kids play with them quite a bit. I'm not a huge fan, I have pet one once...but they kind of gross me out. They are only 2 months old so they will get a little bigger and their colors will get darker too.
I put together a care package for a friend who is just starting chemo. She was a teacher of Josie's and Landon's and is very sweet. I had a bunch of people donate stuff and I was able to give it to her on Friday.
I bought a sewing machine so I could practice making some hair bands. I made 3 blonde ones because I know 3 blonde girls going through chemo right now and I made a ponytail for myself. I haven't sewn anything since 8th grade home ec class so it took me a while to remember how to put thread on the bobbin and make the thing work!
Here is me as a blonde.
and my ponytail...this is just a prototype...I have some tweaking to do. But It works and I think I could wear it to work when I go back.
I really want to sell them to other cancer patients or people who don't have hair. I tried setting up an Etsy store so if I told people about them I could direct them in the right place to buy them...but I'm not sure it was the most successful. I need someone with IT experience to help me figure all this out.
Saturday Luke participated in a fundraiser for our friends son Henry. He has done it the past 4 years. It used to be a 24 hour race where you had to ski for 24 hours straight, then they changed it to 24 hours of challenges..a new one every hour. Now it is called 2400 ft of Schweitzer. It is a GS course that is 2400 ft long. They start at 6am and do another run at 9:30. All the racers raise money for Henry who is 12 and has cystinosis. Cystinosis is a rare disease that only 500 people in the U.S. have. it causes cystine crystals (building blocks of protein) to build up in your system and then your organs can shut down. Henry has to take over 45 pills a day and put eye drops in his eyes every hour. With all the money that has been raised they are very close to a cure and have just started clinical trials on humans. Luke raised $31,000 and won top individual fundraiser. His team also won for top team fundraising and they won 3rd in the actual race.
The top of the second course.
We were able to make it back to the race by the time the second one started. They don't open the lifts to the public until 9am so we didn't see the first race. It was a really nice day.
We sat by the fire pit while we were waiting for the race to start.
Luke's team getting 3rd.
Saturday night they have a dinner and auction to raise more money for the charity. When you raise a lot of money you get a vip table. They Reser 'verd' a table for us and put a cheezy picture of luke on it.
Luke and I at the dinner. I wore Cameron my wig to the event. I feel so different in these pictures. I look at myself and don't feel like it looks like me at all. So strange.
Luke and his team winning top fundraising team.
This is a picture of luke and his friend Matt the two in the top back row with Henry and his family. Also another guy who is 29 and has cystinosis. The life expectancy for Cystinosis is not that old, so he is quite the phenomenon.
After the dinner they have an after party at the bar.
Me Carli and Juli. Maybe it's that my eyebrows are so thin I look weird..I definitely look really different.
Here was an Instagram pic of the first race start.
Today we skied most of the morning. The snow started getting pretty slushy and sticky so I didn't want to push myself too hard and fall...so I came in before I got hurt. My friend and I have matching ski's. Ironically they came with a breast cancer ribbon painted in the graphics...
I will have my blood checked tomorrow and see how my cells are doing. Hoping they have increased!!
No comments:
Post a Comment